Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Sawley Quaker Meeting


Address: Friends Meeting House Sawley Road Sawley CLITHEROE Lancashire County BB7 4RS See Map
Meeting Times: 10:30 Sundays

Location OS grid ref:

Directions: Car park in lay-by at the corner of the Bolton-by-Bowland Road and the Grindleton Road. Disabled parking next to the Meeting House.

Key dates, Start:0001 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:
Arthur Kincaid, reports on the fine views available at Sawley Abbey, with Pendle Hill the back drop to the scene. Tavelling towards Grindleton you will see the sign for the local meeting house dating from 1777. OS: SD778466

Directions Please contact us for details. Car park in lay-by at the corner of the Bolton-by-Bowland Road and the Grindleton Road. Disabled parking next to the Meeting House.

Their web page: http://sawley.pendlehillquakers.org.uk/

ConnectionLink To
Moved from old premises in:"Newby Quakers"


No modern references found.

History of the place:
Original building built in 1742, Green End built in 1777 - From YQHP: Built 1742 Green End: built 1777, in use

Full history here: http://sawley.pendlehillquakers.org.uk/?page_id=65

From Lancashire CC - Records for burial ground: 1879-1894
1896
Records for Monthly Meeting: 1654-1751
1658-1750
1656-1751
Sourced Item:
Local Quaker History

The first permanent Meeting House for Sawley Meeting dates from 1743 when an existing building, thought to be an old mansion house, was used. This was replaced by the present building in 1777 when the land was given by a local Quaker farmer. The cost of building was met by subscriptions from surrounding Meetings and individual Quakers.

The building comprises of a Meeting House and a Wardens Cottage which was extended in 1907 when the original accommodation was thought to be inadequate.

The building, which is Listed Grade II, is built in a vernacular style, having much in common with some local barns and farm buildings. The older portion is built from limestone with sandstone quoins (corner stones) and window and door frames. The roof is made of sandstone flags.

The stones on the front and end walls of the older part are ‘watershot’. This means that they are rectangular stones laid with a slope down towards the outside to help prevent the penetration of rainwater along the joints.

All these materials were available locally from the many old quarries in the RibbleValley.

The extension was designed by a local architect and blends in with the older part It is constructed out of brick and has been given imitation quoins and a rough render.

The interior of the Meeting House contains original pitch pine woodwork with raised benches at one end to accommodate the Elders of the Meeting (a practise now discontinued). At the other end is a gallery or loft which was used for the Women’s Business Meeting at a time when they were held separately (also discontinued). The shutters on the gallery can be raised to increase the capacity of the Meeting Room. .

The moveable benches are of simple construction and are similar to those in many other Meeting Houses although they are somewhat more upright than most!

Source: http://sawley.pendlehillquakers.org.uk/?page_id=65






(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016