Contact us


the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place

Airton Quaker Meeting

Address: Quaker Meeting House The Green Airton Skipton North Yorkshire County BD23 4AE See Map
Meeting Times: 2nd & 4th Sindays @ 15:00

Location OS grid ref: SD 903592

Directions: Airton Friends’ Meeting House is situated in the quiet village of Airton in central Malhamdale, 11 miles from Skipton and 7 miles from Settle

Key dates, Start:1652 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.

Description of the Place:
A peaceful, historic venue for your retreat, workshop, exhibition or meeting, and a recently renovated camping barn for overnight stays.

It is on major walking and cycle routes, including the Way of the Roses and the Pennine Way and well placed for visiting the major attractions in the Dales and Three Peaks areas.

Main contact is: Resident Friend, Floe Shakespeare 01729 830263

Their web page:

ConnectionLink To
Was originaly based at:"Scalehouse (Quaker Centre)"
Named chaned to:"Rylstone Quaker Meeting House "

No modern references found.

History of the place:
The Meeting House is a historic and atmospheric place. Originally an early seventeenth century stone built thatched barn, it was purchased in 1700 by William and Alice Ellis, a Quaker couple from the village, from John Lambert, son of Cromwell’s Major General John Lambert.

The old barn had been in use for Quaker Meetings for fifty years by then. Adjoining the Meeting House there was a stable and following William’s death Alice replaced it with a cottage and built a barn and stable behind it. These are the buildings we see and use today. The first written evidence of a Meeting held here is from the 1650’s, but it was already an established group who were described.

The current group of Friends have carried out a successful and sensitive refurbishment of the fabric of the buildings, which are now in good heart and still used by the local Quaker Meeting.
Sourced Item:
This Meeting was settled at Scalehouse, near Skipton in Craven, in the early 1650s by the combined efforts of a group of First Publishers of Truth, William Dewsbury, Richard Farnsworth, Thomas Stubbs, Miles Halhead and James Nayler. It was recorded in 1665 as a constituent of Skipton Monthly Meeting and again in 1669, when it became part of Settle Monthly Meeting. It drew in a community of Friends from Airton, Cracoe, Eshton, Flasby, Hetton and Rylstone, as well as Scalehouse itself, and two of its members, Richard Scostrop and John Hill, became widely travelled ministers. One of the mainstays of the Meeting was the Watkinson family of Scalehouse. In 1654 George Watkinson was fined and later imprisoned at York with his wife Anne for riding to meeting on a Sunday. Some of the general meetings for the North of England which took place near Skipton from 1657 to 1660 and formed the precursor of the Yearly Meeting, were probably held at the Watkinsons' farm. In 1675, a few years after the death of George Watkinson, the Meeting became known as Rylstone. A Meeting House was built at Airton in 1700, financed by William Ellis and situated on his land. He gave the building and its burial ground to the Meeting in 1706. The Meeting flourished during this period and its name changed again to Airton. Another Meeting House was built in Rylstone in 1711, known as Fox House Barn. Both were in use throughout the 18th century, until the number of Friends declined and meetings ceased to be held in Rylstone in 1792. When Settle Monthly Meeting was dissolved in 1853, the Meeting was transferred to Brighouse Monthly Meeting. In 1910 it was reduced to an Allowed Meeting, before being discontinued in 1922. An Allowed Meeting existed for a short period between 1943 and 1948, as part of the re-formed Settle Monthly Meeting.

BarnFirst used1650

(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)

Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016