Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Whitby Quakers


Address: Community Hall, Marton Court Byland Road WHITBY North Yorkshire County YO21 1JN See Map
Meeting Times: Held on 3rd Sundays at Marton Court

Location OS grid ref: NZ 887106

Directions: Byland Road is 2nd road north on B1416 after junction with A171 at Whitby. Station: Whitby, 1 mile. Free parking. Please contact us for details.

Key dates, Start:1670 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:

Their web page: http://www.pandhquakers.org.uk/area-meetings/whitby/


No modern references found.

History of the place:
Sourced Item:
Although George Fox visited Whitby in 1651, the settling of the Meeting there is attributed to John Whitehead the following year. The first Friends in the town included Zachariah and Dorothy Smales, Ellise Green, Margaret Grainer, Thomas Linskill and Henry Alder. Many First Publishers of Truth ministered at the Meeting. Land in Bagdale on the outskirts of the town was purchased in 1659 for use as a burial ground, and a decade later the present site in Church Street was bought and a Meeting House erected, which opened in 1676. This was registered in 1689. The Meeting flourished and attracted members from amongst the tanners, shipowners, mariners and bankers of Whitby. The evidence from the journals of many travelling ministers, such as Thomas Story, is that it continued to flourish until around the mid-18th century. Several pominent families, including the Walkers, the Chapmans, the Richardsons, the Linskills, and the Lotheringtons were Quakers. The Meeting House was re-built and enlarged in 1813, but by then the Meeting was in decline. After his visit in 1812, Stephen Grellet reported that 'The love and pursuits of the world are like cancer in the soul'. Disownments for marrying out, as well as disputes over the arming of vessels owned by Quakers, had a severe impact on membership and the Meeting closed in 1850. A decision by the Quarterly Meeting to sell the Meeting House prompted renewed attempts to revive the Meeting. It was reopened in 1866 on the initiative of Emily Saunders and Edward Fuller Sewell, and a period of outreach into the local community began, through an Adult School and mission work. The Meeting is still in existence and has been part of Kirkbymoorside (by 1665), Scarborough (from 1669), Pickering (from 1788), and Pickering and Hull Monthly Meetings (from 1859).
Source: http://www.eservices.hull.ac.uk/quaker/index.cfm?fuseaction=location.collection&collectionID=20&search_type=place&countyID=0&townID=216

NameActionDate
Church StreetBuilt1670
Church StreetRe-Built1813





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016