Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Malton Quaker Meeting House


Address: Greengate MALTON North Yorkshire County YO17 7EN See Map
Meeting Times: Sunday 10.30 am

Location OS grid ref: SE 787718

Directions: Meeting house is 200 yards down Greengate, off Wheelgate. Station: Malton, 3/4 mile. Parking at Wentworth Street car park (next street).

Key dates, Start:1652 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:

Their web page: http://www.pandhquakers.org.uk/area-meetings/malton/


No modern references found.

History of the place:
Sourced Item:
Listing Text MALTON SE780715 GREENGATE 801-1/8/40 (North side) 29/09/51 Malton Meeting House and attached walls bounding Quaker Burial Ground (Formerly Listed as: GREENGATE (North side) Friends' Meeting House. Cemetery & Cemetery Perimeter Walls to the S) GV II* Quaker meeting house, and attached walls bounding burial ground on north, south, east and west sides. Meeting House dated 1823. Wall to south of burial ground dated 1823; C18 walls surviving from earlier Meeting House garden to east and west; walls to north C20. Meeting House of pink and cream mottled brick in Flemish bond, on sandstone plinth; sandstone dressings, and timber cornice to hipped slate roof. South wall to burial ground of pink and cream mottled brick in English bond; walls to east and west of orange-red brick in Engish garden-wall bond; stone copings and dressings.
Meeting House: one tall storey of 6 bays. Right of centre double doors with 2 grooved panels, 2 raised panels and 2 glazed panels; blocked square opening with stone sill above doors. Remaining windows are 24-pane sashes, 2 to right of doors, 3 to left, over continuous sillband. All openings have flat arches of gauged brick. Scrolled, wrought-iron gas bracket over door. Moulded eaves cornice encircles building. Rear: four 12-pane fixed light windows with flat arches, over sillband. Left and right returns: single, external, square-section chimney stack in centre of each wall.
INTERIOR: 2 rooms separated by a passage with panelled shutters on each side, designed to be opened up to form one single large meeting room. Fielded panel doors with original fittings. Overhead gallery with turned column balusters. Room to left: raised and fielded dado panelling. Fitted benches to 3 sides: fourth side has dais behind panelled partition carrying balustrade of short turned column balusters and moulded rail. Passage and both meeting rooms have cast-iron ceiling vents in moulded circular surrounds. Datestone over lintel of main door inscribed: ANNO DOMINI 1823. The plain design of the meeting house, incorporating the acoustic shuttering in the entrance passage, is influenced by William Alexander's Observations on ... Meeting Houses (York, 1820), and represents a notable advance in the design of such buildings. Walls to burial ground: wall to south approx 30m long and 6m high has square-arched gateway with monolithic lintel containing cast-iron double gates with spearhead finials. Inner face of lintel inscribed: ANNO DOMINI, 1823. Towards right end is a board door beneath monolithic lintel, giving access to No.21, former caretaker's house (qv). West wall approx 30m long, east wall approx 23m long; both walls varying in height from approx 5m and stepped up in places. Flat coping to all walls. Attached to west wall are 2 slate slabs recording cremations between 1948-1972 & 1968-1990 respectively. Part of west wall collapsed. Listing NGR: SE7872971890

Source: http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-389419-malton-meeting-house-and-attached-walls-
Sourced Item:
The Meeting was recorded as part of Kirkbymoorside Monthly Meeting in 1665, but there was a body of Quakers in the region for many years before this. One of these, Roger Hebden, a draper, was convinced by George Fox in 1651, gave up his business, retired to his farm at South Holme and began life as a travelling minister. Richard Farnsworth of Tickhill was also influential in the area. Malton gained a certain notoriety in 1652 when a meeting of over 200 people lasting several days ended with the burning of ribbons, silk and other finery in the market place. An anti-Quaker tract of 1653 refers to these events. Besse records that early meetings were held in private homes, such as that of Thomas Thompson of New Malton, as well as that of Hebden himself. Local Friends were mainly tanners, millers, drapers and grocers. In 1669, the Meeting became part of a new Monthly Meeting, also based in Malton. At this point, its membership was spread between Malton, South Holme, Hovingham, Rillington, Scampston, Langton and Settrington. The first Meeting House was acquired in 1677, situated in Spital Street. This served the Meeting until 1823, when a new building was erected in Greengate, influenced by the work of William Alexander. This was restored in 1993 and is still in use. Friends in Pickering attended the Meeting intermittently over the period 1843-1936, when their own Meeting was discontinued and then gradually re-formed; Kirkbymoorside Friends did so over the period 1870-1878. Malton has fallen successively within Kirkbymoorside, Malton, Pickering, and Pickering and Hull Monthly Meetings. The history of Malton Meeting is interwoven with that of Kirkbymoorside and Pickering Meetings.
Source: http://www.eservices.hull.ac.uk/quaker/index.cfm?fuseaction=location.collection&collectionID=15&search_type=place&countyID=0&townID=151

NameActionDate
Spital Street + Burial GroundEstablished1677
GreengateBuilt1823
Burial Ground Walls East & West Earlier than1823
Spital StreetSold1824
GreengateListed II*1951
Green GateModernised during1990





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016