Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Kirkbymoorside Quaker Meeting


Address: 79 West End KIRKBYMOORSIDE North Yorkshire County YO62 6AD See Map
Meeting Times: Sunday 10.30 am

Location OS grid ref: SE 695864

Directions: The Meetinghouse is at 79 West End, Kirkbymoorside. YO62 6AD
It is accessed via a large door between houses no 79 and 81.
The Meeting House is accessible to those with limited mobility, including an accessible toilet. There is a hearing loop for those with a hearing aid. Unfortunately we have no separate parking area, and on-street parking can be limited.


Key dates, Start:1669 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:

Their web page: http://www.kirkbymoorsidequakers.org.uk/

ConnectionLink To
are responsible for:"Lowna Quaker Burial Ground"



History of the place:
Sourced Item:
The Friends' Meetinghouse, a plain rectangular stone building with large high windows, is situated behind the Warden's cottage at 79,West End and has stood there for more than 300 years. It was in 1690, shortly after the Toleration Act, that Quakers here were able to build their own Meetinghouse, Helmsley Meetinghouse Bilsdale Meetinghouse after years of persecution. The plot was divided between a burial ground, in use from 1691, and a single storey thatched stone meetinghouse. A hundred years later it had fallen into some disrepair. About 1774 a cottage on West End had been bought, formerly in copyhold tenure from the Duncombe Estate. This is now part of the Warden's cottage,the western end,once a separate cottage,being added in 1861. The Meetinghouse was extensively altered in 1789-90, the roof being raised and sash windows inserted; probably the main room was panelled at this time. There were still two rooms, separated by shutters,the smaller being used for women's meetings when they met separately for business in the eighteenth and early nineteenth century. In the twentieth century this room has been used for children's groups and a kitchenette installed. The brick porch, with its sundial on the south side, was added in the nineteenth century. The burial ground is now a pleasant garden. Meeting for Worship has been held here ever since the seventeenth century,in the Quaker manner based on silence; there are records from the early years. In the mid eighteenth century the presence of John Richardson of Hutton-le-hole, a friend of William Penn, brought visitors from America. Numbers in membership have fluctuated, being very few in the early 1900s but increasing again since the Second World War. Kirkbymoorside Quakers take a full part in the activities of the Ryedale Christian Council.
Source: ryedalequakerpropertiess.pdf
Sourced Item:
There were Friends in this area from as early as 1654, reflecting the local influence of Roger Hebden of Malton, who had farm at South Holme and was an early convert of George Fox. By 1665, a Monthly Meeting was centred on Kirkbymoorside, but this did not survive the reforms of 1669. Kirkbymoorside was split from Malton Meeting and became part of Guisborough Monthly Meeting. Friends in Farndale, Hutton-le-Hole, Gillamoor and Kirkbymoorside attended Rosedale Meeting until at some point in the late 17th century this was broken up into separate Meetings for Kirkbymoorside and Hutton-le-Hole. The sufferings of many local Quakers are recorded by Besse; the most widely known itinerant minister from the area was John Richardson (1660-1754) of Hutton-le-Hole. By 1700, Friends had re-formed a single Meeting, which lasted until 1849. A meeting place was first registered in Kirkbymoorside in 1689, followed by the erection of a Meeting House a year later at 78 West End. This was rebuilt in 1790 and is still in use. There was also a Meeting House at Hutton-le-Hole, built in 1698 and sold in 1859. In 1743 there were nine Quaker families in the parish. In 1833, the Meeting was transferred to Pickering Monthly Meeting (later Pickering and Hull). The union with Hutton-le-Hole ended in 1849 with the latter's closure; thereafter it was known simply as Kirkbymoorside Meeting. In an attempt to stem its decline, it was united with Pickering Meeting between 1857-1869, and then Malton Meeting. It operated as an Allowed Meeting from 1878 to 1894, when it became a Preparative Meeting again. Kirkbymoorside hosted the annual holiday of the Yorkshire Adult Schools in 1897. The Meeting is still in existence. Burial grounds for Kirkbymoorside and Hutton-le-Hole included Pryhills in Rosedale and Lowna in Farndale (from 1675). The history of Kirkbymoorside Meeting is interwoven with that of Malton and Pickering Meetings.
Source: http://www.eservices.hull.ac.uk/quaker/index.cfm?fuseaction=location.collection&collectionID=14&search_type=place&countyID=0&townID=168

NameActionDate
Lower Farndale Burial GroundGiven in1675
West EndBuilt1690
West EndRe-Built1790
Lower Farndale Burial GroundLast Burial1854
Lower Farndale Burial GroundUsed for cremated remains since1854





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016