Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Pickering Quaker Meeting and Burial Ground


Address: Friends Meeting House 19 Castlegate PICKERING North Yorkshire County YO18 7AX See Map
Meeting Times: Sunday 10.30 am

Location OS grid ref: SE 798843

Directions:

Key dates, Start:1652 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:

Their web page: http://pickeringquakers.weebly.com/


No modern references found.

History of the place:
The first Quaker Meetinghouse in Pickering was in Undercliffe from about 1675. This became inadequate and a new Meetinghouse was built around 1788. The porch has a datestone of 1793.This is a good plain building with two meeting rooms separated by a lobby with removable shutters. It stands to the west of the warden's cottage at 19,Castlegate; it has a burial ground still in use, with pleasant outlook towards Beacon Hill. - Rydale Quaker Propertise(www.ryedalechristiancouncil.org.uk)
Sourced Item:
There were Friends in this area from the early 1650s, when George Fox first preached in Pickering. Their sufferings are recorded from 1658, and Besse also notes several Friends imprisoned in Pickering Castle around this period. Marishes Meeting was recorded in 1669 as part of Malton Monthly Meeting, its members including Roger Skelton, Roger Chapman, Robert Smales, Stephen Keddy, Richard Foster and Richard Camplin. It had been renamed Pickering by the date of the first surviving minute book, ie 1718. There were two Quaker families of longstanding in the area, the Priestmans of Thornton-le-Dale and the Rowntrees of Riseborough. The first Meeting House at 1 Undercliffe was bought c.1675 and registered in 1689. The garden was used as a burial ground from 1696. A new Meeting House was built in 1793 at 19 Castlegate, as a means of accommodating both the Preparative Meeting and the recently formed Monthly Meeting of the same name. The Meeting declined in strength and was discontinued in 1843. Thereafter local Friends attended Malton Meeting (and were also united with Kirkbymoorside for a brief period between 1857-1869, when it too merged with Malton). Allowed Meetings operated in Pickering between 1870-1874, and from 1880 until the granting of Preparative Meeting status in 1896, following the initiative of the Manners sisters. As a result the Meeting House was in use only infrequently over the period 1843-1936. The Meeting is still in existence, and falls within Pickering and Hull Monthly Meeting. The history of Pickering Meeting is interwoven with that of Malton and Kirkbymoorside Meetings.
Source: http://www.eservices.hull.ac.uk/quaker/index.cfm?fuseaction=location.collection&collectionID=17&search_type=place&countyID=0&townID=127

NameActionDate
UndercliffeBrought1675
CastlegateBuilt (reportedly)1788





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016