Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Mosedale Quaker Meeting House


Address: The Quaker Meeting House Mosedale Mungrisdale PENRITH Cumbria County CA11 0XQ See Map
Meeting Times: Every Sunday from April to October and on the 2nd and 4th Sundays from November to March. Meetings start at 10.30 am.

Location OS grid ref: NY 35693223

Directions:

Key dates, Start:1668 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:
Our Meeting House is situated in the hamlet of Mosedale on the NE edge of the Northern Fells of the Lake District. Mosedale nestles at the foot of Carrock Fell at the entrance to the secluded valley of the River Caldew. It is reached by a minor road linking the A66 to the villages of Mungrisdale and Hesket Newmarket.

Mentioned by Arthuir Kincaid in The cradle o fQuakerism.

Their web page: http://www.ncam.org.uk/Mosedale.htm


No modern references found.

History of the place:
From 1668 to 1831, Mosedale Friends formed part of Caldbeck Monthly Meeting. The meeting was in the care of Carlisle Monthly Meeting from 1831 to 1864 since when it has been within Carlisle and Holm Monthly Meeting.

The meeting house was created in 1702 by extending an older building. Today the building presents a plain wall to the road except for the doorway, whose lintel has the date 1702. In its early years the meeting house was in the ownership of a local farming family and it was only transferred to Quaker trustees in 1739.

Internally the building has ancient timber seating and wall panelling and is distinguished by two pink sandstone columns. These support the northern ends of the two roof trusses and indicate the width of the original building prior to 1702. On the south wall are three mullioned windows once protected by shutters operated by chains passing through holes in the upper parts of the mullions.

There is detached burial ground enclosed by low stone walls adjacent to the car park.

The meeting was discontinued in 1865 and re-opened for a few years until 1913. It was used from about 1936 to 1970 as a chapel of ease of the Church of England. It was then restored by Friends and opened for Quaker Meetings for Worship in 1973.

During July and August it is opened as a coffee shop for visitors. The coffee shop is staffed by volunteers and by Friends from other local meetings (From the meetings web site)

Constructed 1702
The Friends have been in Mosedale since 1668, but this building was in use from 1702, when an existing building was extended. NY 357 322. © Iris Maeers. Link. Grade II listed - link. taken from:http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/cumbria.html

Listing Text NY 33 SE MUNGRISDALE Mosedale 3/24 Friends' Meeting House and adjoining stables G.V. II Friends' Meeting House/tearoom, with adjoining stables. On C17 site, rebuilding dated over entrance 1702 with C19 inscription FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE; 1970's extension. Partly rendered mixed limestone and slate rubble, stables with flush sandstone quoins. Graduated greenslate roofs. Single-storey 3-bay meeting house with C20 single-bay extension under common roof; C18 right-angled extension to right and lower stable to left, making overall L-shape. Facade to road has plank door in chamfered surround. Stable has plank door to right and small opening to left. Rear of meeting house has 2-light stone-mullioned windows, with matching window in C20 extension and similar contemporary window in side wall of the C18 extension. Interior retains much of its original fitting although used as a tearoom. C18 benches, wooden panelling behind railed minister's gallery. Roof trusses supported on 2 sandstone columns. Windows retain chains for pulling up internal shutters from the outside. Meetings were discontinued in 1913 and it was used as a Church of England chapel from 1936-1970. See David Butler, Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties, 1978 pp73-76, plans and drawings. Listing NGR: NY3569232236

MOSEDALE, Cumb, after 1974 Cumbr ... NY356327 1668-1831 ... Caldbeck MM 1831-1864 ... Carlisle MM 1977- ... Carlisle & Holm MM

NameActionDate
Meeting HouseListed2010





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016