Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Pardshaw (Hall) Quaker Meeting House


Address: Quaker Meeting House Pardshaw COCKERMOUTH Cumbria County CA13 0SP See Map
Meeting Times: On the 3rd Sunday, meetings are held at: 19:00

Location OS grid ref: NY 10352546

Directions: Pardshaw Hall lies approximately 1km north of Pardshaw village on a minor road approached from the north along the A5086 from Cockermouth to Egremont.

Key dates, Start:1672 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:
Meetings for Worship are held at Pardshaw at 7:00 pm on the 3rd Sunday of the month. You will be most welcome to join Friends from Cockermouth and other Quaker Meetings in the area who come once a month to Pardshaw. Possible address: Dean, Pardshaw Crag Pardshaw Hall

Mentioned by Arthur Kincaid in The cradle of Quakerism

Part of Pardshaw Monthly Meeting

Other occasional meetings are held at Pardshaw, whose meeting house dates back to 1729 and commands an impressive view of the Western fells.

Their web page: http://www.wcam.org.uk/Pardshaw.htm



History of the place:
It is reported that early meetings were held on Pardshaw Cragg, cum wind, rain all snow.
Earlier meeting house of 1672. Meeting house dates back to 1729 and commands an impressive view of the Western fells. Pardshaw Hall lies approximately 1km north of Pardshaw village on a minor road approached from the north along the A5086 from Cockermouth to Egremont

Please read Arthur Kincaid - The Cradle of Quakerism, page 75. Meeting house temporarly closed in 1923 (Do not have reopening date.)

Reference for Pardshaw crag is: NY104256
Sourced Item:
Pardshaw and Pardshaw Hall were strongholds of Quakerism from its early days. While the churches in most parishes, including Dean, had to meet the challenge of Methodism and Baptists, the Rector of Dean had even earlier to contend with what was virtually a Quaker enclave within the Parish.

George Fox preached on Pardshaw Crag in 1650 drawing huge crowds.

A meeting of Friends, the first to be settled in Cumberland, began in a private house in 1653. As this meeting grew in numbers, it could not be contained indoors and met for many years in the open air on Pardshaw Crag. In time the meetings during the winter were divided amongst Friends’ houses in Lamplugh, Pardshaw, Whinfell and Eaglesfield. Eventually, in 1672, a meeting house was built at Pardshaw and this was enlarged in 1705.

For about a century this was the largest country meeting in England. No traces of this building now remain.

In 1728 a decision was taken to build a new meeting house in the Guards near Pardshaw Hall, including a women’s meeting house and a walled burial ground. Some of the materials from the original meeting house were used in the construction of the new building and a lintel bearing the date 1672 may still be seen above the doorway to stables built in 1731. Later additions included a porch, schoolroom and carriage shed.

The meeting closed in 1923 but the Meeting House and burial ground remain at Pardshaw Hall, still in occasional use, and the venue for an occassional local arts and musical festival, and as a hostel for Young Friends.

Source: http://www.visitcumbria.com/cm/pardshaw-quaker-meeting-house/

NameActionDate
Pardshaw CragIn the open pre-1672
Early Meeting HouseBuilt/Acquired1672
New Meeting HouseBuilt Acquired1729
Meeting HouseTemporary Closed1923
Meeting HouseGiven Listed Status2010





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016