Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Swarthmoor Hall


Address: Swarthmoor Hall Swarthmoor ULVERSTON Cumbria County LA12 0JQ See Map
Meeting Times:

Location OS grid ref: SD 28187729

Directions:

Key dates, Start:0001 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:
´┐┐´┐┐Home of Judge Fell, early protector of the Quakers because of his wife's entreaties; after his death Margaret Fell married George Fox and gave him a base for missionary activities at Swarthmoor Hall, near Dalton, which remained their home apart from periodic gaol sentences for over thirty years. Open to visitors and residents
Their web page: http://www.swarthmoorhall.co.uk/


No modern references found.

History of the place:
Sourced Item:
Listed Buildings 2010 courtesy of English Heritage SWARTHMOOR HALL / / SWARTHMOOR HALL LANE / ULVERSTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 460043 / SD2818677293 courtesy of English Heritage House. Early C17. Restored late C19 and early C20 after becoming neglected and ruinous. Roughcast with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roofs. L-plan (with additions in the angle of the 'L' made in 1912). 2 storeys plus a 3rd, attic, storey. The windows have chamfered mullions (some opened out or renewed during restoration) with diamond-leaded lights. The south front has one of 4 lights to the left of the door and ones of 2-3-2 lights to the right, the latter linked by a continuous hoodmould. On the 1st floor there is one of 3 lights with a hood, and ones of 2-3-3 lights linked by a hood. The attic is lit by 3 windows of 3 lights. The door has a chamfered surround with an embattled lintel. Chimney on left-hand gable. The right-hand (east) facade has a canted bay window rising to the full height of the gable of the front range. On the ground and 1st floors it has a 4-light window with transom facing forwards and a similar 2-light window to each side. The attic storey is lit by a stepped window of one light over 3, with hoodmould. To the right on the ground floor there is a narrow chamfered door surround with 2 windows of 2 lights to its right. On the 1st floor there is a chamfered doorway with hoodmould and a lintel carved with lozenge and intersecting patterns and with 2 central spirals. The timber balcony is early C20 and replaces an external stair. To the right there are windows of 3 lights and 2 lights linked by a hood. The attic is lit by a 3-light window. Chimneys on right-hand (rear) gable and at the junction between the rear wing and the front range. INTERIOR: much of the interior panelling was restored or constructed in the early C20 by Emma Clarke Abraham. Judge Fell's room in the rear wing includes a fireplace surround which uses timber from a C17 bed. The staircase rises to attic level around a cage of 4 newels infilled with balusters. On the 1st floor the eastern room of the front range is panelled, as is the room in the rear wing which includes a carved fireplace surround. The front attic room has 3 trusses with collars, raised ties, and exposed purlins. HISTORICAL NOTE: Swarthmoor Hall was the home of the Fell family, who acquired the estate in the C16. Margaret Fell, wife of Judge Thomas Fell who died in 1658, became a disciple of George Fox in 1652 and Swarthmoor became a centre for Fox's missionary travels. In 1669 the couple married.
Source: http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/topics/quakerf.htm

NameActionDate
HallListeed2010





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016