Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Rylstone Quaker Meeting House



Picture by:


Address: See Map
Meeting Times:

Location OS grid ref:

Directions:

Key dates, Start:0001 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:
This meeting has also been known as: Fox House Barn (From: http://archiveshub.ac.uk/data/gb206-msdep.1979/1(carltonhillarchive)airtonpm)

A building known as 'Fox House Barn' is now converted into a house. It was named after George Fox the founder of Quakerism and was built in 1657 by Quakers for a meeting house. A wall encircles the front of the barn enclosing about 100 square yards and this land is the old Quaker burial ground. (from: http://www.visitoruk.com/Skipton/rylstone-C592-V18206.html)

Their web page:

ConnectionLink To
Was Originaly called:"Scalehouse (Quaker Centre)"


No modern references found.

History of the place:
Rylstone Meeting House and burial ground (both now in private ownership) 1711 to 1813 - From YQHP: Fox House Barn: built 1711, sold 1813

In NorthCravenHeritage.org.uk they report the burial ground being there from 1663. They report the dates for the meeting house thus: Rylstone meeting house, built on The Raikes between Rylstone and Hetton in about 1712 and used for Quaker meetings for worship until 1792
No historic references found.






(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016