Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Keighley Quaker Meeting House


Address: Friends Meeting House Strawberry Street KEIGHLEY West Yorkshire BD21 3BA See Map
Meeting Times: Sunday @ 10:30

Location OS grid ref: SE 061417

Directions: The meeting house is on the corner of Strawberry Street and Skipton Road. About 10 minutes walk from the centre of town.

Key dates, Start:1653 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:
￿￿
Their web page: http://www.keighleyquakers.org.uk


No modern references found.

History of the place:
Mill Street building bore the date 1709 yet in the Keighley year book for 1950 we find an entry which says it was established in 1690, demolished in 1938. The Upper green Congregational Chapel shared the same yard was not demolished in the clearance. The Society of Friends moved into their Skipton Road meeting house in 1936. Briggs opened a grave yard for friends on land just off North Dean Road which still exists. There used to be a friends burial ground near the Independent Chapel, the 1852 shows their grave yard to be a separate entity. The first one was established in 1690 on Mill Lane and demolished in 1937, the replacement built on Skipton Road in 1936.
Taken from:
http://www.valendale.myby.co.uk/churches.html

Mill Street: built 1709, rebuilt 1797, sold and demolished 1938 Strawberry Street, Skipton Road: built 1936, in use - Take from: YQHP
Sourced Item:
William Dewsbury and Thomas Stubbs (a local man from Ive Delves, Warley) are attributed with settling the Meeting in Keighley, after preaching in the area around 1653. Those convinced included Christopher Smith of Stanbury and Anthony Moore of Oakworth Hall. A burial ground was provided for Friends by Thomas Brigg in c.1659; this was conveyed to trustees in 1691. William Clough of Keighley was amongst those imprisoned for non-payment of tithes in 1665. The Meeting was recorded in 1665 as part of Skipton Monthly Meeting and in 1669 as part of the newly formed Knaresborough Monthly Meeting. It covered Steeton and Stanbury, as well as Keighley, and its leading members were William Clough, Joshua Dawson, Dinis [sic] Waid, Thomas Briggs, Robert Smith and Henry Ambler. The first Meeting House was built in Mill Street in 1709. It is uncertain whether this was rebuilt in 1797, or whether the Meeting simply bought another building in the same street. The Meeting was in decline at this point, and the premises were let as a school from 1807. By the time of the 1851 census of religious worship Friends are recorded as meeting in a rented room in Change Gate. In 1853, the Meeting was transferred to Brighouse Monthly Meeting, but it was discontinued two years later. An Allowed Meeting opened again in 1872, becoming a full Preparative Meeting three years later. The former Meeting House was repaired and re-opened for worship in 1877. This was superseded in 1936 with a new building on the outskirts of town, in Strawberry Street, off Skipton Road, and this is still in use. The Meeting became part of the re-formed Settle Monthly Meeting in 1924.
Source: http://www.eservices.hull.ac.uk/quaker/index.cfm?fuseaction=location.collection&collectionID=44&search_type=place&countyID=0&townID=106

Short History of the Buildings:

NameActionDate
North Dean Road Burial GroundOpened1658
Burial groundProvided (Where?)1659
Mill StreetBrought/Remodelled/Built1709
Mill Street 2New Build or Refurbished1797
Mill StreetLet as school from1807
Change GateRooms rented at1851
Keighley MeetingDiscontinued1855
Keighley MeetingAn allowed Meeting starts1872
Keighley MeetingBecomes a full meeting1875
Mill StreetRe-paired and reopened1877
Strawberry StreetNew building1936





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016