Contact us

 Keighley
 Quaker's
 Newsletter

the Bulletin
Ξ All Sections

Details of Place


Whitehaven Quaker Meeting House


Address: Friends Meeting House 105 Scotch Street WHITEHAVEN Cumbria County CA28 7NN See Map
Meeting Times: Meeting now meets in Egremont.

Location OS grid ref: NX 973182

Directions: Meeting now meets in Egremont - Follow link below.

Key dates, Start:1725 and end date: 0001

There may be pictures for this place.




Description of the Place:

Their web page: http://www.wcam.org.uk/Whitehaven.htm

ConnectionLink To
They have moved to:"Egremont Quakers"



History of the place:
The meeting used to meet at:
The Meeting House is situated close to the centre of the town in Scotch Street (behind the Methodist Church, entrance beside the police station).
Sourced Item:
Whitehaven developed into a coal port early in the eighteenth century. Its three churches and two nonconformist chapels were built between 1687 and 1777. Thomas Story encouraged Friends to build a meeting house and a plot of ground was purchased for 5 shillings. Friends subscribed towards the cost of a meeting house and early in 1724 the Friends of Pardshaw monthly meeting reported that a contract had been drawn up for the building work.

When John Fothergill visited the town in July 1724 to take ship for Ireland he attended a meeting held inside the partially built walls. He returned nearly a year later at Easter and attended a large meeting, the first to be held in the meeting house.

The regular and simple elevations of the building concealed a complex interior; great stone pillars supported the central valley of the double roof, whereas in most meeting houses of this type this support was provided by the screen. At Whitehaven the roof ran across the screen and must have been a serious obstacle to a view of ministering friends.

Whitehaven was frequently visited by Circulating Yearly Meeting for the Northern Counties. The meeting house was too small to accommodate its sessions, and a temporary 'shade' was erected at each of its sessions. In the later years the work and cost of the shade had become burdensome and in 1784 it was proposed that a temporary gallery be put up inside the front of the meeting house but a permanent loft was erected later that year around three sides of the building, supported on iron columns and approached by outside stone steps and an indoor staircase rising from the women's room. At the same time modifications were made to the screen to improve the view.

In 1829 an adjoining house was purchased to enlarge the burial ground and provide extra space and light to the building. The meeting closed in 1926 and in 1931 the meeting house was sold to the Brethren. It still stands although much changed internally by the removal of the stone pillars and by the clearance of buildings around it.

New premises were acquired for Friends in 1982 by purchase of the former Sunday school room in Scotch Street, built around 1870, of the Lowther Street Methodist church. Alterations were carried out and it was opened in 1984.

Source: http://www.wcam.org.uk/WhitehavenHist.htm

NameActionDate
WhitehavenLand Brought1716
WhitehavenBuilt/Acquired1725
WhitehavenExtended1784
WhitehavenFurther improvement1829
WhitehavenClosed1928
WhitehavenSold to Brethern1931
Scotch Stree (Built 1870)Purchased1982
Scotch StreeOpened1984





(Please note that any un-titled image could be of any Quaker meeting in the north of England)


Copyright © Cyssan Co-operative Limited 2011 to 2016

Website last updated July 2016